Saturday, May 4, 2013

Focus On Life ~ Week 18: Abstract

PLEASE GO HERE FOR THE HATS OFF CHALLENGE REVEAL:
HATS OFF WITH BEADSONG JEWELRY

====================================================================================

I bet most of the participants are struggling with this one.
Abstract. What does that even mean?
Something open to interpretation, is it?

I am an software developer, and to be, abstract only means classes. No, am not going that route. This has been a favorite interview question of mine. And not many have been able to answer it.

Anyway...moving on to abstract photography. This is what Sally said:

Abstract: the use of a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world.

I take great pride in my command over the English language. But this line is still making me scratch my head. So I googled for abstract photographs, and reached this absolutely stunning collection!


I got a few ideas from here, and while I did not have time to consciously click abstract photos for today (you see, I did not know what I was looking for), I looked through my iPhone photos, and selected this one I took tonight at the "etsy meet and make" event



 And then I looked through some older photos and found a few better candidates




 

Still not sure if this is any good (mainly because I still don't get it), all these are just some sort of repeating pattern. Abstract or not?

I think I will go look at other participant's photos and see if I can understand this at all...
Lets start at Sally's blog:

36 comments:

  1. LOL I said the same thing WHAT IS THAT??? lol yes I do think you got it esp with the raindrops! Happy Saturday Kashmira!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I am still not sure WHAT it is that I got, you know what I mean? ;)

      Delete
  2. I like your middle bubbles picture! Not sure any of us understood this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it hasn't been the easiest prompt, has it? but when you have a strong shape/form/line/colour combo, I think you've cracked it! love the coloured threads, but the fruit in the branch silhouette is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. I was wondering if that picture would fit in, but I decided it would because it could be anything...fruit, a ball hanging on a child's crib, a wacky chandelier?

      Delete
  4. You found some great subjects. I think if we just relax and concentrate on putting aside the subject of the photo, the rest will flow.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...as in pick a subject and then focus on one tiny part of it?

      Delete
  5. Best thing about Abstract is that it is totally up the person's interpretation. You did an amazing job at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of you photos are beautiful. I struggled with this assignment, but learned from one site that abstract photography is all about the lines, shadows, form and how it evokes a strong reaction in the viewer. I think all of your photos fit that description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! So it IS a lot about patterns then?

      Delete
  7. I love the rain/dew drop photo.
    I wrote elsewhere that abstract is in the eye of the beholder so...I struggled with it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! That was actually water condensed inside of a street lamp! Loved it and had to click it :)

      Delete
  8. LOVE that water droplet pattern!! so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its been an old favorite of mine :)

      Delete
  9. ALL amazing abstract photos!! I'm just in awe of that candle one,..the different effects of the light, the shapes, colors - exquisite!! And your yarn/fibers one - that's some awesome goodness right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shel! That candle one had won a contest a long long time ago :)
      I do like all the photos, but still not sure if they fit the theme :(

      Delete
  10. They are all really cool. My favorite is the candle that seems to be floating - in a sea of pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, the picture came out quite different from what it really was like. It was just a lot of pink glass marbles around the candle, but I guess focusing on it that close created a really cool effect :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for that link, Kashmira. There are some stunning photos. Yours are awesome as well. I am totally taken in by the water drops. It's absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya! I went back and looked at those photos so many times! And they have other categories to explore too :)

      The water drops are actually condensation inside a street lamp. Pretty cool, isn't it?

      Delete
  12. I'm not sure either, Kashmira, but I LOVE the photos you chose to represent your interpretation of abstract. Especially the condensed water pattern (guessing at that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi, yup! You're the only one who guessed it right. What's cool is it was on the inside of a street lamp!

      Delete
  13. Kashmira the pic of water droplets on the glass does indeed show abstract well. I also like the cherry silhouetted against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! The water drops picture is an old fav of mine :)

      Delete
  14. They look pretty abstract to me! Love the branch against the sky- great contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally love it when the sky is like that in the Fall!

      Delete
  15. Awesome abstract photos! I would say you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whether they fit the bill of abstract or not, I like them a lot! All from your phone!? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, you're too sweet, Hope :)
      No no, only the thread pic is from the phone, the others are from a regular camera.

      Delete
  17. This week was outside my comfort zone as well. I like all your Picts especially the water droplets. The thread is so colorful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh, not sure how I missed replying to this. Sorry!
      I love the colors of the threads :)

      Delete
  18. Your shots ROCK! I love what you found. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And SORRY! I totally missed your comment :(
      I found another awesome shot this week which would have been perfect for this!

      Delete